(Guest Book Review by Peggy Paxton) - Vicki Courtney's book, 5 Conversations You Must Have with Your Son, is a must read for every mom. And I encourage every grandmom to read this very well done book. I have purchased five books to give to young mothers in my church; that's just how important I believe this book can be to a mom desiring to train up her son in the way he should go.
Vicki Courtney writes in an easy-going style as if she is having a one-on-one conversation with the reader. Her sense of humor causes the reader to smile or laugh out loud and lightens some heavy subject matter just enough to encourage the reader to keep reading and give serious thought to what is being discussed. Although Vicki includes statistics and quotes as she writes, one does not become bogged down in or tune out the writing.
I believe that any mom, with total dependance on God's guidance, can raise a godly son with only the Bible to use for her guide. But I also believe God has given Vicki Courtney wisdom and the gift of writing to give moms a resource to help them focus on 5 important issues in raising godly sons for these times.
These are the 5 conversations Vicki identifies a mother needs to have during her son's formative years:
- Don't define manhood by the culture's wimpy standards. It's OK to be a man!
- What you don't learn to conquer may become your master.
- Not everyone's doing it! (And other naked truths about sex you won't hear in the locker room.)
- Boyhood is only for a season. P.S. It's time to grow up!
- Godly men are in short supply. Dare to become one!